Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Scrap Heap

"There is only one thing," said a village blacksmith, "that I fear, and that is to be thrown on the scrap heap.  When I am tempering a piece of steel, I first heat it, hammer it, and then suddenly plunge it into the bucket of cold water.  I very soon find whether it will take temper or go to pieces in the process.  When I discover after one or two tests that it is not going to allow itself to be tempered, I through it in the scrap heap and sell it for a cent a pound when the junkman comes around."

"So I find the Lord tests me, too, by fire and water and heavy blows of His heavy hammer, and if I am willing to stand the test, or am not going to prove a fit subject for His tempering process, I am afraid He may throw me on the crap heap." 

When the fire is hottest, hold still, for there will be a blessed "afterward;" and with Job we may be able to say, "when he hath tried me I shall come forth as gold."

Streams In The Desert, March 4

No comments: