Thursday, October 8, 2009

Dare To Discipline

Dare to Discipline, the famous parenting book by James Dobson, is a book I have avoided reading for the past few years. Many other parent friends even highly recommended it and yet I still did not want to read it. Because it was written by a such a well-known conservative christian leader, I imagined it would be extremely conservative in message with a strong emphasis on strict disciple and corporal punishment and I simply did not want to read another christian parenting book like that.

But then Dare to Discipline was recommended to me again recently by a dear friend who I trust about parenting issues. Since I owned a copy of the book already, I figured I should at least skim it. After reading the first two chapters, I was hooked. Turns out, Dare to Discipline is one of the best parenting books I have read so far.

Dare to Discipline is full of common sense advice and emphasizes discipline with grace instead of punishment. Filled with real life stories, Dr. Dobson explains his parenting philosophy formulated from years of working in the medical field with families and children. Each chapter addresses a specific parenting issue and contains a question and answer section to help readers better understand what they are learning. As a result, parents can easily adopt Dr. Dobson's methods and create a plan for their own home. 

With over 3.5 million copies sold, Dare to Discipline is an excellent resource that teaches practical parenting tips and helps families to create solid foundations in their relationships, so they can face the future with joy and anticipation instead of fear or dread. 

 

No comments: