Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Reading

I know I have been relatively MIA lately. I keep intending to write, but honestly I haven't had many topics that have peaked my interest long enough for me to sit down for several hours and put my pen to them. That being said, I have been doing a good bit of reading in attempt to fill my ink well. 

One topic that has peaked my interest lately is Israel. I became more curious about Israel after reading Daniel Silva's book series about Israeli spy Gabriel Allon. Although they are fiction, his books contain a great deal of historical detail about Jews in the 20th century and after reading them, I realized how little I know about Jewish history outside of 1935-1945. 

I found several good books on the topic that I am looking forward to reading. One is The History Of The Jews by Paul Johnson which is where I will start. Another is Israel by Martin Gilbert. I read Gilbert's biography of Churchill, which was excellent, so this book will probably be good too. He and Paul Johnson are both great historians and authors. There are a lot more books out there on Israel, but I think these two volumes are about as much as I can handle for now.

If you have book recommendations, let me know. I am always up for more books and more reading.

No comments: